The SuperHero RPG
Not registered? Sign-up now and role-play as your created character!

Become a legend and write your own legacy to leave behind. Become the hero. Become the villain. See yourself as a protector of the innocent or be an evil tyrant. Wreak havoc and bring chaos to our world or stop those who cause it. You are in control of your own destiny. You can be the villain, or the hero. Choose your fate.

NOTE: Any name that is taken can be made available, so long as the account is inactive or no longer being used!

ALSO: Check your PM Box after you've registered and successfully signed in!

Switch Accounts

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Fusion Frenzy
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeToday at 4:27 am by Cobalt

» Beholder of the eyes
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:36 pm by Vorik

» Santo Dorado
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:03 am by inquisitor

» Captain Brigade
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:03 am by inquisitor

» Graymoon Institue of the Empowered
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:58 am by inquisitor

» Jack Hawthorne
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:55 am by inquisitor

» Speedrun
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:39 am by Arcana

» Frontline

» Revenant

» Pleasant Point
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2024, 8:01 pm by Zonkes

» Homefront (Lore Submission)
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2024, 2:28 pm by inquisitor

» Morgan D'fae
To Come Forth By Day I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2024, 2:26 pm by inquisitor

Top posting users this week
Arcana
To Come Forth By Day I_vote_lcapTo Come Forth By Day I_voting_barTo Come Forth By Day I_vote_rcap 
inquisitor
To Come Forth By Day I_vote_lcapTo Come Forth By Day I_voting_barTo Come Forth By Day I_vote_rcap 
ProwlerKnight
Cerek
Sage
Vorik
Cobalt
Zonkes

Word Count

Shrink your Links!
Enter a long URL to make it tiny:
Rating
Language 2: Swearing is generally permitted. However, the language cannot be used to severely abuse.
Sexual Content 2: Sexual content is permitted. References and writing about genitalia and sex acts are permitted, but explicit detail is not. Fade to black, or use the dotdotdot rule. (Let's keep it PG-13.)
Violence 2: Graphic violence is permitted. Explicit description or in-game narration violence is allowed.

Despite these ratings, keep in mind that there is a limit, and you should not cross it just to garner attention. Also, resorting to curse words is also like adding senseless fluff to your posts.
License
Some rights reserved. This forum, and all of it's content, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Discord Server
Disclaimer
Superhero RPG does not own any content written or distributed by Marvel or DC Comics. All of the content referencing to Marvel or DC belongs to its rightful owners. Superhero RPG does not claim rights to any materials used such as Comic Book, Movie, or Video game character images.
Superhero RPG does retain the rights to any and all posts made by the original authors that are a part of SuperheroRPG.
Copyright © 2008-2024 by Chellizard, Spirit Corgi, Atlas, and Pain. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written permission of the author or the Site Owners.

To Come Forth By Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down

INV ONLY To Come Forth By Day

Post by elephantlord May 3rd 2022, 5:12 am

The museum was like a tomb; cold, dry, and dark.  The crumbling scroll lay quiet in the airless glass box; a bit rubbish, a bit sad. Frankly, for all the hype, the Book of Coming Forth by Day didn't look like much.

Materially, it wasn't. Though it may surprise many the fans of old Brendon Fraser movies, ancient Egyptian funerary texts weren't a large book made of gold mystically empowered to raise dead architects. Instead, they were a loose collection of scrolls and other writings, often enclosed in burial tombs, to assist the deceased in their journey through Duat, or the underworld, in order to reach the afterlife. Materially, they were useless scraps of decaying papyrus written in a language that had been dead since around the First Crusade.  

Culturally, however, they were a look back at the beliefs and customs of a period lasting almost a thousand years.  Each piece of the Book was a look back into the origins of humanity; the beginnings of who they were as a people. In that context, it had a much greater value.

Mystically, though... ah, there was the thing.  

Though many of the spells the Book weren't applicable in the present day, many still held sway to the aspiring sorcerer or necromancer seeking to plumb the depths of other worlds.  Though the original works had already been poured over and studied by occultists stretching back to Charlemagne, those old spells still had value to those that did not care for the derivatives.

That made it valuable in a way the Hope Diamond could only aspire to be.  There were many warlocks or wizards who coveted the ancient scrolls in order to unearth some overlooked secrets.  New methods were being invented all the time, after all, and there was no telling what they could find.  

When a new and unique piece was found, many people in mystic societies began to practically froth at the mouth. A quiet war would ensue, trying to wrest the piece away from the public eye and into other hands.  It was quite the coup in those circles to be the first to own or study such a work, after all.

Now, Monte ran in those circles. Though she often found the tottering old idiots more a nuisance than they were worth, but a payday was a payday. It hadn't been hard to bypass they guards and lock up the security system, so the MOUNTEBANK, INTERNATIONAL WOMAN OF MYSTERY (TM) was somewhat bored.  She sat herself on the red velvet cordon rope surrounding the exhibit, freezing it in place as she sighed melodramatically.  

The glare of a flashlight beam blinded her for a moment, causing her to shield her face.  The guard seemed to start, then reached for his gun. Montessa sighed and shook her head.  

"There is nothing to see here." Her voice reverberated slightly, as she sat glumly, looking at the guard. The guard blinked twice, glanced around, and then left, chuckling at himself for jumping at shadows.

Monte shifted in place and began to kick her feet like a bored child.  Finally, she stood and lifted her cane.  She began to tap the bulletproof glass with a steady beat, like she was drumming out Seven Nation Army.  

Tap.  The cane made a dull thud.

Tap.  A louder noise, filling the empty room.

Tap. Crack!  A small crack appeared down one of the corners.

Tap! Spiderwebs of cracks began to form over the glass.  

Tap! The case shattered, sending shards of glass across the room.

Montessa sighed and began to reach for the scroll.  "Beats diggin' ditches, I guess."
elephantlord
elephantlord
Post Mate
Post Mate

Quote : "Insert Quote from Character Here" or etc.

Warnings : 0 Warnings
Number of posts : 105
Job : Pharmacy stuff
Registration date : 2022-01-18

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum